Over 185 years of innovation

Technology leader since 1829

Waelzholz has been a pioneering innovator for over 185 years. In 1829 Caspar Diederich Wälzholz purchased a wire rod mill in Nahmertal and thus laid the foundation for the company as it is today. The family business quickly developed to become the technology leader of its day and spurred this growth on with novel, customer-oriented products and production technology. In the early years they innovated with particularly elastic loom reeds, special wires for umbrellas and parasols and cold rolled crinoline springs for hooped skirts. 35 years after Waelzholz was founded, it was one of the leading companies in the cold rolling industry and was exporting to the Japanese and English markets already in 1890.

Engineering expertise

Waelzholz has always operated cutting-edge machinery and, as technology leader, always provided materials for pioneering applications. At the end of the 19th century it was paragon steel and in the 1950s Olympic-grade ski edge profiles. Today, development efforts focus on innovative and flexible materials such as high-strength spring steels for seat belt systems, extremely thin electrical steel strip for environmentally friendly hybrid drives and efficient power generation plants. A number of global companies cooperate closely with Waelzholz and already profit from the expertise of the cold rolled steel strip specialist in early product development phases.

International presence

Most recently, Waelzholz has continued to expand into international markets. Today, with approximately 2,400 employees, Waelzholz is one of the largest cold rolling mills in the worldand its global presence is only getting stronger. Thus we have production plants and distribution centers in strategically important target markets in Asia and America. Innovative force and a dynamic character have determind the development of Waelzholz for over 185 years and will continue to do so going forward.

Over 185 years of success

1829 - 1899

1829  //  Purchase of the wire rod mill "Auf’m Graben" (Mühlengraben) in the Nahmer Valley; soon afterwards tenancy on the "Borggräfen-Rolle" nearby, a mill for fine wire and thin flat wire

1845  //  The Caspar D. Wälzholz reed factory is now one of twelve reed and wire works in Hohenlimburg   

1848  //  Crisis due to the German revolution with stagnant sales, decrease of production and redundancies

1850–1857  //  Purchase of the mill "Borggräfen-Rolle"

1854  //  Special wire production for umbrellas and parasols starts – a big seller in subsequent years

1857  //  Generational change – the company founder Caspar D. Wälzholz passes on a sound company to his son Ludwig

1863 //  Production of a wide range of iron and steel wires, springs, loom reeds made of iron, steel or brass wire, numerous high-quality special wires such as chain wire, telegraph wire, nail wire, binding wire, machine wire as well as wire for embroidery needles, forks, umbrellas and parasols; furthermore manufacturing of punched iron plates to guide threads in looms (maillons), and additionally trade with other iron, steel and brass goods purchased from other manufacturers

1864 // Demolition of the old wire mill and erection of a modern, two-storied factory hall; in addition to the old water wheel a 12 hp steam engine is installed as well 

1866  // 
Erection of the first cold rolling mills with cast iron rolls and an own hardening shop in order to be able to manufacture cold rolled crinoline wires

1866–1867  //  Due to the Prussian-Austrian war the crinoline wire production comes to a standstill – Wälzholz now produces iron wire for military boots

1868  //  Expansion

  • purchase of turning lathe
  • installation of more powerful steam engine
  • erection of office and packaging buildings
  • and extension of drawing shop
  • company joins the health relief insurance founded by manufacturers in Hohenlimburg

1870  //  New applications for cold rolled steel: instruments, screws, springs, sewing machines, bicycles, locks, florist wire and gun parts

1874  //  Ludwig Wälzholz dies as the result of an illness and his just 20-year-old son Ludwig takes over the management together with his brothers August and Gisbert. However, Louise Wälzholz remains the owner

1884  //  Sales crisis due to diminishing demand for corsage steel and crinoline steel

1887  //  Further development of crinoline steel to paragon steel

1896  //  Construction of a larger cold rolling mill operated by two steam engines


1900 - 1999

1905  //  Co-foundation of the new company "Union-Gesellschaft für Metallindustrie GmbH" in Fröndenberg together with "Feuerhake & Cie." (chain and bicycle production)

1906-1910 // Erection of another cold rolling mill

1919  //  Günter Wälzholz becomes general partner

1921  //  Dr. jur. Hans Junius, Ludwig Wälzholz's son-in-law, joins the management as company lawyer

1937  //  Dr. jur. Hans Junius becomes general partner and Ludwig Wälzholz retires from company management. Otto Dreiser becomes proxy

1939–1945  //  Manufacturing for metal goods and arms industry, partly using forced laborers and POWs

1946  //  Dr. jur Hans Junius's son, Hans Martin Junius, takes over the responsibility at the company; a subsequent bestseller is the Junius poker, the so-called "Justo"

1951 // Erection of new halls, amongst others the "Paragon Hall“; at the annealing shop the old gas and coal powered pots are replaced by an electric continuous annealing furnace

1953–1955  //  Dr. jur. Hans Junius's sons, Hans Martin Junius and Eckart Wälzholz-Junius take over the company management together with the nephew Dieter Wälzholz

1954  //  Formal opening of the Ludwig hall

bis 1962  //  Erection of five large halls and the relocation of the most important parts of the cold rolling plant with the high-performance reversing mill, the annealing shop and the dynamo strip department to Hagen; construction of a new annealing line for electrical steel strip

1966  //  The new central administration building is set up in Hagen-Fley 

1969  //  Erection of the plant "Hagen-Fley-Nord"

1972  //  Commissioning of a modern push-pull pickling line

1973  //  Foundation of Brasmetal Waelzholz S.A. in Sao Paulo and close-down of the company "Union-Gesellschaft für Metallindustrie GmbH" in Fröndenberg

1975  //  Commissioning of the large 4-stand tandem cold rolling mill

1983  //  Expansion of the annealing plant and equipping it with box annealing furnaces

1989  //  Construction of a high rack storage warehouse

1990  //  Management taken over by Dr.-Ing. Hans-Toni Junius and Herbert Otten (graduate economist

1991  //  Start of a modern ski edge center in Hagen-Hohenlimburg

1993  //  Acquisition of the company “Gerätebau Huber” and foundation of Wälzholz Huber GmbH in Götzis (Austria), now called C.D. Wälzholz International GmbH

1996 //   Acquisition of a Hoesch electrical steel continuous annealing furnace and together with D&B foundation of the joint subsidiary CDW-Edge in Cleveland, Ohio USA

2000 - today

2000  //  Acquisition of "Hagen-Kabel", the former cold rolling mill "Hoesch Hohenlimburg"

2001  //  Acquisition of "IJ Stahleisenhandel" from the Junius family and transformation into the CDW Service Center in IS-Stenglingsen, now called Waelzholz Service Center; takeover of D&B and foundation of the CDW Service Center D&B, Ltd. in Cleveland/Ohio (USA) now called Waelzholz North America, LLC

2002  //  Acquisition of the cold rolling mill "Kaltwalzwerk Brockhaus" in Plettenberg

2003  //  Acquisition of Bernier in Thiers (France) and foundation of C.D. Wälzholz France SAS, now called Waelzholz France SAS

2005 //   Dr. Hans-Toni Junius takes over the company management as chairman of the Board

2007  //  Acquisition of the cold rolling mill "Kaltwalzwerk Röchling KG" in Oberkochen, Foundation of Service Center "Wälzholz New Material (Taicang) Co., Ltd" in China and joint venture of CDW and "Hugo Kern and Liebers GmbH & Co. KG" to become Taicang Wälzholz – Kern-Liebers New Material Co., Ltd

2008  //  CDW Asia in Hong Kong was in charge of sales for the Asian market from 2008 thru 2012

2011  //  Acquisition of majority stake in Brasmetal Waelzholz S.A., today Waelzholz Brasmetal Laminação Ltda., in Sao Paulo

2014  //  Expansion of the Service Center in Taicang to the first German cold rolling mill in China. The existing slitters and cut-to-length lines were completed by a four-high rolling stand and various high convection furnaces  

2016 //  Acquisition of the cold rolling division of Wickeder Westfalenstahl GmbH in Wickede (Ruhr region), Germany

2017 //  Acquisition of the cold rolling mill Friedr. Gustav Theis Kaltwalzwerke GmbH in Hagen